Thursday, September 21, 2006

And What a Week to Come

So the week just past we had two high profile games, home to PSG in the UEFA Cup and home in the League Cup Final to Shelbourne.

Almost the same in the week to come

Shelbourne v Derry
We play Shelbourne in Tolka Park tomorrow night in the league. This is another massive game, and Shelbourne have a solid record at home in the league this season. 11 played, 9 wins, 2 draws, 30 goals for and only 5 against. They beat us 1-0 earlier on in the season in Tolka in the league, but we have also beat them in the FAI Cup in Tolka this season, the same scoreline 1-0 in August.

Shels are currently 7 points clear of us, but we have 3 games in hand, a win here would be a fantastic result, as they still have to come to the Brandywell, although a draw would also suffice.

Checking on the forum it does look like we will have a good squad down for the game, although some fans won't be able to make it do to other commiments next week, which is totally understandable and will be explained shortly.

Now, to be honest, I do fancy Derry to come away with a result from the game and hopefully I'm right. Checking on the web, Derry are 21/10 with PaddyPower and 23/10 with William Hill for a win, which is very good odds for us, so I think I'll be calling up to my namesake Mr Hill and placing a few pounds on a Derry win.

Whatever the result - it looks like it's going to be one hell of a match, and I can't wait to get to it.

PSG v Derry
The away leg in the UEFA Cup. Next week, Thursday 28th September, 9.00pm KO (French Time) Parc de Princes - and the Dublin SC will be there in force.

With Derry getting a 0-0 scoreline at the Brandywell last week, this match is very much open, and hopefully this will make people's minds up on going to the match. Although, to be honest our flights and hotels were booked within a few days of the draw - so we were going no matter what.

I've already been away to the Gothenburg and Gretna games and the build up to this, it has to be said, is more intense. Derry's 12th man will be in Paris in force to cheer on the lads on the park, in what looks to be one of the biggest nights in the clubs history.

I remeber when the draw was made for the first qualifying round when we got Gothenburg, if anyone had of told me that come the end of September I'd be in Paris, watching Derry play PSG, with a 0-0 scoreline already secured in the Brandywell, I'd of be asking him what was he drinking and any chance of getting a pint.

As Stephen Kenny said at the Gretna match, Derry City is the fairytale this season. The fans are loving it, the team are loving it, you can see that in their expressions when they celebrate in front of the crowds both home and away after every match this season.

Of course, with this being a European away match, there is some rules that myself and the lads I'll be travelling with will be observing:
  • After check-in and breakfast at the Airport, it will be on to the bar for a pint and the cards will be out to get the Maverick going
  • Once on the plane and the nseat-belt sign is off, the cards will be out again
  • At some stage in Paris, we'll have to buy a deck off cards to add to our growing collection
  • Cocktails are a must before the game, this follows on from the Hard Rock Cafe in Gothenburg and Yeats in Glasgow - I think this is now a definite pre-match ritual

To be honest, the only thing I'm worrying about is the kick-off time - 9 bells, late kick-off for us now, a few pints of water will have to be drank during the day to slow things down - although, the adrenaline will be pumping all day - so we'll wait and see - oh my God, I can't wait.

So the roll call for the SC - The Child, Big Daddy, Morphy, Ratboy, The Twins, Twin's 1 Da, Stephen, Pauline & Lauren, Paddy, Big Daddy's bro - do we call him Big Uncle then????. And I'm sure I've left one or two out, but if you've travelled with me before, you'll now that me membering details on travel plans is sketchy at best.

So what a week it plans to be.

C'mon the Candystripes

No comments: